Marion County Veterans Helping Veterans, Inc. (Vets Helping Vets) is a 501(c)(3) not-for profit organization serving veterans and their families. The organization was established in 1997 and later incorporated in 2002 to serve veterans and their families in need of assistance. Specifically, our organization works on the following:
- We provide social service contacts to veterans and their families including counseling, referral, advocacy, and direct social service assistance, including food and limited financial assistance for such items such as rent, utilities, special dietary needs.
- We assisted veterans in finding employment, through counseling and networking on their behalf.
- We coordinated with the Marion County School District and legislators to bring veterans into the classroom to educate both staff and students as to the contributions of veterans to America.
- We educate the public and community at large through the media, speaking engagements, workshops, and a weekly radio program informing veterans and their families as to their benefits as well as services available to them through other agencies.
- We utilize approximately 100 volunteers who perform office work, make hospital and home visits and make minor repairs to veterans’ homes, grocery shopping and errands, as well as wellness checks.
- Through a cooperative understanding with a DAV service officer, we educate veterans and their families as to their eligibility for compensation benefits and assist them in processing their claims.
- We’re working with local law enforcement, the courts, public defender and state’s attorney to provide "Marion County Veteran’s Treatment Court".
- We’re working with a variety of social service and civic organizations to bring services and information to veterans and their families. As an example, we’re working with Habitat for Humanity to establish a housing initiative where veterans will be highlighted to participate in the Habitat for Humanity program.
- We’re working with organizations such as the Elks Club, and others to deliver hot meals to homeless and shut-in veterans in Marion County.
Chief Executive Director – Hank Whittier
The Board of Directors
President – Eugene Poole
Vice President– Joe Martone
Secretary – Robert Childs